Friday 22 June 2012

Craft book review - Making Hair Jewels and Accessories by Gabrielle Byrne

I've been mega busy, but I did get chance to try out my latest craft book!


I bought Making Hair Jewels & Accessories by Gabrielle Byrne.  I bought it from Amazon, and it cost (at the time) £10.71.



This book features a number of products with step by step instructions on how to make them, including tiaras, hair combs, crystal hair pins, butterfly hair pins, crystal decorated hair barrettes, japanese sticks and hair jewels.

The pictures are lovely.  Really clear, and the instructions are easy to follow.


Personally I think this book is a great starting point for making hair slides and accessories.  It inspired me to try other designs, and the Tools, materials and basic techniques section at the start of the book ensures that you've got all the bits, pieces and know how to get started.  I also like the fact it features different styles, not just crystal.


This hair comb is so cute, and you can easily adapt the design.  I'm intending to make this comb using some gorgeous mother of pearl vintage buttons I found at a vintage shop in Hebden Bridge.

On the whole, I'd say this book is a good starting point for anyone wanting to get into making hair accessories, but if you have been making them for a while there may not be much in it for you.  If you're creative though, (you probably are if you're looking at this book!) it will give you lots of ideas for designs, and the basic techniques to make them happen!  Its a really lovely book, the layout and photos are really attractive, and it's enjoyable to read.  :)

I'd give it 4/5.  Great book, beautiful photos and a lovely clear layout and great instructions, but perhaps more suited to beginners.

The bits I've been making from this book will be appearing in the Special Occasions section of my Etsy shop soon!







No comments:

Post a Comment